Saturday 25 February 2012

Talking to the Moon

Title: Talking to the Moon
Author: KC
Fandom: Iss Pyar ko kya naam doon 
Pairings: Arnav/Khushi
Rating: PG
Word Count: 856
Disclaimer: This was written for fun. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.
Author's Notes: This is one of my favorite songs by Bruno Mars... 


Arnav had gotten used to the routine. Every night he came home and after everyone had retired to their rooms he would watch her sitting near the poolside looking at the starlit sky talking to the moon. He never knew how long she sat there, only that when he woke in the early hours of the morning she would be sleeping near his feet. No blanket, she would just be sitting on the floor her head lying near his feet. Every morning he would pick her up and put her on the bed and kiss her forehead softly.

"I love you Khushi" he would whisper in her ear knowing that she would hear him in her subconscious. Ever since they had gotten married and his family had refused to recognize her she would roam his house like an idle butterfly flitting from here to there. She kept becoming lighter and lighter and the circles under her eyes just seemed to get darker. Her smile had vanished. Khushi had become Dukhi. How had he managed to snuff the spirit of a beautiful rose. He would sit there for half and hour watching her with tears in his eyes.

Today he would find out what she said to those stars. He had come home early and set up a recorder near where she sat. He connected it to his laptop and set the switched on the small blue tooth device in his ear. He went down for dinner and watched Hari Prakash take Khushi's dinner to the room. He knew that she would eat only one or two bites and return the tray. He quickly ate his food and stood up.

"Chote what is this? It's bad manners to stand up while everyone is still eating." Di said to him.

"Sorry Di I have an important call from our American suppliers. You know I wouldn't stand up like this otherwise." He replied knowing he was yet again lying through his teeth. He walked to his room just in time to see Hari Prakash bring the tray. He stopped him and took the tray from his hands. He took it into the room and set it down infront of her. "Eat... You cannot waste food. What will your DM think?" He said to her. She looked at him and then looked at the food and then turned her face away. His blood boiled at her blatant refusal to look after herself. He picked his laptop and started to work and after awhile she left the room to go sit at the poolside. She looked up and sighed. He could hear her pain in that sigh.

"Ma... Call me... tell DM to call me to you. I want to come stay with you amma and babuji. You know Ma today He brought my tray back. After so many days he had shown some kindness towards me." She spoke softly. He could hear the hollowness of her tone. There was so much pain and sorrow. He was even more shocked that she was talking to his mother.

"Ma I always thought when I get married, I will have a family of my own. People to call my own but alas Ma I have no one but you three to call my own. Even your son doesn't belong to me. Ma you won't turn me away will you?" He could feel those tears. He had stripped her dreams like they were some useless pieces of paper. He had taken her respect and stomped on it like a raging beast. He had taken her smile and crushed it like you would crush trash.

"Amma, Babuji I know tomorrow is your barsi. Please forgive me for not being able to do puja for you. I am a nobody in this house and have no rights but I will pray to my devi maiyaa to keep you safe up there. You are not angry at me are you?" She sounded like a little girl who was desperate to do something but couldn't do it. He felt his heart shatter. Tomorrow was the day she would need the people who loved and cared about her but alas there was no one. He had turned all that love into hate by marrying her.

"Ma you know in 2 weeks time its his birthday and after 3 days its my birthday. I know he can't eat sweets but how about I make some sugar free mithai or maybe a sugar free cake. Everyone should have cake in their birthday right. But Ma how will I get the cake? I don't have money and I am not allowed to enter the kitchen. I don't even have anything of my own that is worthy of selling like my bangles I sold to buy his plants. Ma.. help me" She spoke as if his mother was standing right in front of her. She had sold her bangles to buy those plants.


He listened to her conversation learning so many truths. With each truth his heart broke but he still listened waiting for her to say why she slept at his feet.

1 comment:

  1. This was beautiful! I loved it! There is so much emotion in it and I love that he is finally learning the truth.

    I would actually like to see what she does for his birthday or his response to all of this! *pretty pleasee*

    It is heartbreaking and I love the fact that she speaks to his mom!

    ReplyDelete